Tuesday, July 31, 2012

101 ways to mess up your kid…








Disclosure:
All persons mentioned below are based on real people.  No one was harmed in the writing of this story (or at least that I know of). 

This post is not in direct response to any person in my life.  If you think this is about you, you are wrong and could be looked at as self centered (yes this is a joke do not take it personally).  Now who’s the one with the issues?  You may now read.
__________________________________________________
Let me count the ways - of how you can mess up your child. 

Holy Cow moment ?:  I did not know that a personal trait could or would cause so much grief.  In your life you are bound to have a few traits or as I like to see them as “issues” from your dear childhood.

Why does this seem to be drama for people in my life?  If I cannot do it myself I feel like I failed, my issue not yours.  I am working on this but for the most part is this really that big of an impact on your life? When you go to someone’s house the last thing that should happen is for you to be enslaved.  You are a guest…you do not and should not need to help.  Sure I offer help at others homes because I don’t mind, but I am never offended if they say no.  I assume they have it figured out or could be like me and just can’t accept the help.  I am down with that J

Our parents can screw us up just as bad as society.  I do not know who to blame more.  We learn from what our parents did wrong and ensure we will not make those mistakes with our little ones.  Too bad we will find new ways to mess up our children.  It’s a vicious cycle.  But apparently the most appalling trait, to some, is that you cannot accept their help.  If I am going to drown, feel free to send me a life-preserver, otherwise don’t panic.  Someday I will be able to accept help.  I can attest to that already.  I have accepted help at two holiday parties – I turned them into potlucks! 

So, is not being able to accept help, not self help, not criticism, but honest to goodness help – as in here lay the meat and cheese out on a try really the worst trait your friend could have?   I guess I don’t know since I am the one with the “issue.” 

Maybe I can use the ‘101 ways’ to discuss everything that I know is wrong with myself.  I doubt it will fix anything but I could use it as a resume for potential friends.  “Here are my issues, what are yours?”  Sort like a compatibility test. 
 


Yes, having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit.  ~Bill Cosby, Fatherhood

No comments:

Post a Comment